End of Year Round-up

Statistics
Blog entries made
Total words written for manuscript
28973
Pubs used for planning
Tellings-off from old ladies
Church services disrupted
Copies of Birmingham A-Z defaced
Bored children made to endure planning sessions
Index cards used for fun planning games
numerous
Thoughts on the process so far
Heide says:
I feel as though I’ve learned a lot in the last few weeks. Learning how to work with someone else is an ongoing process, but most of what we’ve tried has worked out well.
I’ve learned how to plan more carefully.
I’m not a planner by nature, I’m more of a do-er, but the collaborative planning has been so much fun that it was no chore, and now the writing seems to come very easily.
I’m pleased with what we’ve written so far, and the next step is for us to get some feedback on that.
We’ll make adjustments if it seems like a good idea and crack on with the rest.
I’m looking forward to 2012.
Iain says:
I think we must be very lucky or very tolerant people (substitute ‘indifferent’ if you wish) because we’ve seemed to have gelled together very well as a writing pair so far.  We’ve yet to rub each other up the wrong way or thoroughly disagree on what should be happening in our story. I worry that we’re too polite.
I, in complete contrast to Heide, have learned to plan less. We’ve written close to a third of an entire novel and I still don’t know how it begins or ends. And I’m not worried. Bizarre.
As Heide says, we’ve yet to get some objective criticism of our work so far. I hope that criticism is generally positive but points out the flaws in our process. We are not collaborative geniuses and hope that others can help us see how to improve.
Onward and upward in 2012.
Posted in 2011 Tagged with:
4 comments on “End of Year Round-up
  1. Sarah says:

Wow that is a lot that you have written between you! Have you worked out how the editing process will work yet and will you edit parts of the book that you haven't written yourself?

2. Simon says:

So, how long have you spent on the work so far, and how long do you think before it's finished?

3. Heide says:

@Sarah,what we're aiming for is prose that we've both had a crack at, so it should be impossible to pinpoint who wrote what by the time we've finished. THat is why we're swapping at each stage. If I plot, Iain writes and then I edit (and vice versa). This way, we've got both of our ideas and writing styles in every chapter.

@Simon, we've been looking at the rate that we're turning around the chapters and we've set ourselves a schedule that finishes the first draft in mid-April.

4. Iain Grant says:

I think by mid-April we will have something that, rather like Frankenstein's monster, will look like the real thing but only from a distance. Nonetheless, we seem to have a working system in place here.

I am very much looking forward to that moment when we read a paragraph or two and can't agree between us who wrote it.